Our Rating: 4.7/5
The PhotoStick is a small USB flash drive that finds and backs up your photos and videos in one click. It does this with a preloaded proprietary software. It also removes any duplicates and secures your precious memories without the headache.The PhotoStick scans and backs up all your photo and video files on your computer. It also identifies and removes any duplicates which save you more space. By the touch of a button, you can save & protect all those beautiful memories in a safe and secure place and they’ll be with you for a lifetime.
|Easy to use||May not completely replace your USB flash drive|
|Works in a matter of minutes|
Photostick – What it is?
The Photostick is a USB flash drive that has proprietary software pre-installed, This software enables the flash drive to plug-in to your computer and backup your photos and videos.
According to backblaze.com, 46% of people lose their data every year. In a study carried out by Google on hard drive failures, disk drives that are over a year old have a 1 in 10 chance of failing each year.
Here are the average prices for data recovery:
Not only does the Photostick function as a regular USB drive, but it also has software that understands exactly which files on your computer are image files. It automatically scans documents and folders on your hard drive to retrieve your photos. It is designed to be very easy to use. Even people with limited technological understanding can protect their special memories without trouble.
Just stop for a moment and imagine how would you feel? Years worth of precious memories…GONE! Just like that!
This is where the photostick comes in.
Photostick allows you to back up your photo and video files almost instantly. This device works automatically and helps you back up your data in one simple step. If you have all your precious photos and videos saved on your computer’s hard disk, you could be in for a surprise. A simple thing like your son coming to hug you, when you are working on your computer and spilling some tea at the same time could be enough to lose your data. He may accidentally stumble and end up spilling the tea on your computer and crashing it. Where would you recover your data from? How much would you pay to have everything backed up in a situation like that?
This photo&video backup device is easy and straightforward to use. You plug it in and install the app on your computer, and you are good to go. This makes it a favorite even for people who are not very tech-savvy. The device comes with a large storage capacity that can hold up to 60,000 photos. You can back up your photos and videos as well as those of your family and friends.
The Photostick is compatible with Windows and Mac computers. It works on Windows operating systems XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10. If you have a Mac, the Photostick will work if you are running an OS version of at least 10.6. If you are looking to recover files from your old computer from several years ago to upload them onto your new machine or device, the Photostick can help you as long as the machine has one of the above operating systems and an available USB port!
How Does It Work?
The Photostick plugs into any USB port on your computer or laptop. The Photostick, when prompted, carries out a full system scan of your hard drive. It automatically detects image and video files and creates a backup of all of these files on the device itself. A full scan only takes up to a few minutes. It is a lot quicker than manually searching through your computer to find all of the files yourself!
First, remove the device from its packaging. You should notice a small cap located on the top of the device. Remove the cap to reveal the main USB stick component. After you have done this, you just need to insert the stick into any free USB port on your selected device. Remember to make sure that your computer is switched on and running, and that you are logged in. After you have plugged the USB stick into an available port, most computers or laptops will then automatically display a window that suggests the option to run the device. The window should have a button in the center that says “Go”. All that you need to do is to click on this to grant the Photostick permission to access your files.
Here is how to use the Photostick:
- Remove the packaging that comes with the PhotoStick
- Ensure that your computer is on and running
- Plugin the device to your computer
- Open and install the app
- Click “Go,” and you are good to go
The Photostick automatically searches for photos and videos by default – however, you can also customize the settings if you want to, using the powerful yet intuitive and easy in-built software. If you want to search for other kinds of documents, such as sound/music files such as MP3s, WAVs, AACs, or FLACs, you can easily do this too in the settings. The great thing about the software is that it is already built into the device, so you don’t need to download and install a separate application.
The Photostick has many impressive and useful features to help you keep your most precious and important files and memories safe from being lost. These features include:
- Full compatibility with all media formats: The Photostick will detect photos and videos of any and all file types, including JPEG, JPG, PNG, MP3, MP4, etc. If the file is on your machine, the Photostick will locate and retrieve it, wherever it is hidden! It also can be configured in the settings to detect sound files such as MP3, WAV, FLAC, etc.
- Easy one-click backup. Unlike using cloud storage to back up your files, with the Photostick there is no need for you to set up an account or to install any software. The only thing that you need to do is plug the device into a USB port, click “Go”, and the device will work its magic to keep your files safe!
- Automatic and fast: Forget sitting in front of your computer for hours and hours, manually searching high and low through every folder on your device. Life is too short to waste so much time, and you may even miss some of them due to simple human error! With the Photostick, you can leave all of that hard work to one intelligent device, and use that time to relax, get some work done, learn a new language, or anything else more productive and enjoyable than sifting through hundreds of folders just to keep your important documents!
- No need for an internet connection: Unlike cloud storage solutions, you don’t need an internet connection to use the Photostick. If you have no Wi-Fi or ethernet connection, that is no problem for this clever product. The Photostick works in a similar way to a hard drive, but one with intelligent software that detects photos and videos.
- Highly portable: The Photostick is very small – just the size of a regular USB stick, so you can easily take it anywhere you go in a pocket, laptop case or handbag. Whether you are traveling for business or taking a relaxing beach holiday to catch some rays, you can keep control over your treasured personal files.
What Type of Files The Photostick Works With?
The Photostick works best with standard JPEG image files, however it also works with all the major media files such as MPEG4, MOV, PNG, etc.
Who is the Photostick For?
The Photostick was designed to solve photo and video backup problems in an extremely simple and easy way. If you, or perhaps an older relative, want to have peace of mind that your treasured memories of family and loved ones remain secure, the Photostick allows you to create a near-instant backup of your most important files!
Did you know that almost a third of computer users have permanently lost all of their files due to events beyond their control? At best, losing all of your files is a serious annoyance, and at worst it can be personally devastating. For many people, their entire collection of treasured photographs and home videos is located on a single hard drive. Many users, especially older people, are also unaware of how to back up these important files, whether using an external hard drive, online cloud storage, or other solution.
Hard drive failure is usually the biggest concern when it comes to the security of your photos, and is an unfortunately common occurrence. The following symptoms can all be symptoms of a potential hard drive failure, so it is worth keeping an eye out for these!
Signs of Hard Drive Failure
- Problems or issues reading or locating certain files
- Your system crashing when attempting to run certain apps or programs
- Humming sounds from inside your computer
- Clicking sounds from inside your computer Your computer shutting itself down for no apparent reason
As they say, prevention is better than a cure! It is best to back up your files, using a product such as the Photostick, before noticing any of these symptoms – although if you have noticed any of these it is probably not too late to save at least some of your files using the Photostick!
Using the Photostick
The Photostick is highly portable as it is just the size of a regular USB stick, so you can take it anywhere with you! If you travel frequently on business trips, or simply just want to back up your holiday photos and videos as soon as you take them, the Photostick is an easy and portable solution! Whether you are on a work trip or a cruise, you don’t want to be spending valuable time manually sifting through hundreds of files when you could be using your time more wisely.
There is not just one Photostick product– it comes in a few different models (at different prices) to suit your personal needs! The Photostick products currently available are the Photostick 8GB, the Photostick 64GB, the Photostick 128GB, the Photostick Plus 1TB, and the Photostick Mobile.
Each of these products has different specifications, and we have listed them below:
- Photostick 8GB: The 8GB version of the Photostick is the most affordable model, yet can still store up to 3,500 photos.
- Photostick 64GB: The 64GB version of the Photostick can store up to 30,000 photos.
- Photostick 128GB: The 128GB version of the Photostick can store up to 60,000 photos.
- Photostick Plus 1TB: The Photostick Plus 1TB is the largest and most expensive and advanced model. The size of an external hard drive, the Photostick Plus 1TB can store up to a whopping 470,000 photos! If you are looking to store many hours of video footage too, this is also the product for you.
- Photostick Mobile: The Photostick Mobile version is designed for any modern smartphones. It is available in 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB versions for both iPhone and Android.
Should You Buy It?
So, now that we have explored what and who the Photostick was designed for, and delved into its features, let’s try and decide whether or not this product is worth your while. There are so many electronics products out there purporting to solve the problem of backing up files, so it can be very difficult for many of us to decide which product to choose.
We have compiled a list of the pros and cons that we found with this product below:
- Very Fast Speed: One of the best things about the Photostick is just how quickly it works, even if there are hundreds or thousands of image files on your hard drive for it to detect. It only takes a few minutes to locate and save all of your image and video files. The powerful software also immediately detects and skips over duplicate files, reducing the time it takes to back up and avoiding multiple copies of the same image or video cluttering up the device.
- Stores Video and Sound Files: Not only does Photostick work on image files, but it also works for video and sound files too! If you have videos or voice recordings of parties, weddings, holidays and other special occasions, these are safe too! If you want to recapture memories and share with your family and friends videos of your children’s’ first steps, your graduation ceremony, or Grandad’s drunken wedding dancing, the Photostick will ensure that these precious memories are kept safe for you and the family to share and revisit whenever you want.
- Range of Different Products: The range of Photostick products features a device to suit you whatever your needs or budget. The Photostick 8GB, the Photostick 64GB, the Photostick 128GB, the Photostick Plus 1TB, and the Photostick Mobile are all available to buy.
- No Instructions Included: Unfortunately, one drawback of the product is that there are no included instructions. Thankfully, the process of using the Photostick to back up your files is easy – simply plug the device into an available USB port on a computer or laptop that is running, wait for the window to pop up, and click “Go”!
- Can Be Tricky to Use For Less Tech-Savvy Users: As one of the main selling points of devices such as the Photostick is to simplify the process of finding files, it is likely to be used largely by older users. Unfortunately, some of these users may find it difficult to know what to do without instructions and to understand terminologies such as USB ports or file types. If you are purchasing this product for a less tech-savvy loved one, you may want to sit with them while they use it to ensure that the process is carried out successfully – thankfully, this shouldn’t be difficult for most people.
- Picture Keeper 4GB: Similar to the Photostick is a product called the Picture Keeper 4GB, a portable flash drive that functions in a similar manner to the Photostick. It includes an app that needs to be downloaded to your computer, after which you can plug the device into a USB port and start it up. One of the benefits of this product is that it “saves progress” when scanning – if you do a future scan, it recalls exactly where it left off rather than starting the process again. Although it takes time to download and install the app, the app does have some cool features such as a “Share” option for your photos and a handy search tool that allows you to search based on date and time. The main downside to this product is that it includes only 4GB of memory, which is quite limiting if you have more than a small collection of files. There are other models in 16GB and 32GB capacities, but these are more expensive than the equivalent Photostick products.
- PXH 128 GB USB Flash Drive: Another alternative to the Photostick is the PXH 128GB USB Flash Drive. Designed to resemble a flask, it is available in six different colors from red to silver. It features a protective cover to protect the internal components and also features its own app to download and install. Using the device for the first time directs you to the app store and detects the corresponding PXH app for you to install. One benefit of this product is the fact that it can plug into Macs and Windows computers as well as Android and iPhones! The end of the device actually rotates so that you can choose based on the port that you want to plug into. The storage is also impressive at 128GB.
- SUNSWAN 3.0 USB Flash Drive: The SUNSWAN 3.0 Flash Drive features a different design than many of these other devices, looking like a cross with four different ends. Each end is designed for a different device or operating system, from iPhone to Android to Windows PC to Mac. It works with all file types, although with some files you may need to install the right corresponding drivers if you want to play those files on any other devices. It also requires you to install its own app before you can use it, although it does have a lower price and higher storage space than the Photostick does. One of the main drawbacks to this product is that it is not compatible with older operating systems, whereas the Photostick is compatible with some operating systems dating as far back as the late 1990s.
- External Hard Drives: There are countless models of external hard drives available on the market. These generally have more storage space than these other products, yet are significantly less portable, and feature cords that can become easily damaged.
The main selling point of the Photostick over these other products is that the Photostick features built-in software that does the work for you! The Photostick’s software will scan every file on your computer, detect the relevant ones, and transfer them to its internal memory without producing duplicate copies or hiding files in different folders.
Don’t just trust our opinion! There are many Photostick reviews available online, and we have included some user testimonials below:
“This thing is amazing! Plugged it into my iMac and it found all my pics and saved them. 85,000+ pics saved! Saved storage space on my computer and now I have all of these memories over the past decade saved in a safe place.” – Tenny S.
“I had a grand total of about 60,000 images, with many duplicates. This little “stick” managed to eliminate the duplicates so that I now have about 24,000 originals preserved forever in a fire-proof vault, a cost-free and independent method of safekeeping.” – Cyril R.
“The Photo Stick works just the way it says it does; very easy to use. I checked it when done, and there were my pictures. There is so much room on the stick that I should be able to use it for years to backup documents and pictures.” – Linda W.
Where Can You Buy It?
You can buy the Photostick from various places online, but the best places in our opinion are either from the manufacturer directly. When you buy the Photostick from the manufacturer’s official website, various special offers are usually available.
At the time of writing, the 8GB model is available for $34.99 instead of the usual $49.99 (a saving of 30%), the 64GB model is available for $49.99 instead of $79.99 (a saving of 37%), and the 128GB model is available for $79.99 instead of $159.99 (a saving of 50%). In addition to these deals, if you order more than one Photostick, you will get 40% off each additional device! This is great if you want to purchase them for friends or family as well as yourself.
If you order from the official website, shipping is FREE to anywhere in the USA! Ordering from Amazon, shipping costs will be dependent on your location.
Money Back Guarantee
Even though the Photostick is full of great features, and we were really impressed by its capabilities, no product will satisfy everyone! The manufacturers are aware of this, and this is why they offer a full refund.
One possible issue with the manufacturer’s refund it that it only covers errors in manufacturing – such as a device that simply does not work after being plugged in. The refund does not cover issues such as changing your mind about a working product, or not having it meet your needs or expectations. The manufacturer’s refund is also only applicable if the product is in its original packaging and remains in good condition. Unfortunately, many of us throw the packaging away once we buy a product, especially one that is designed and advertised to be portable. also requires that the product is in good condition and in its original packaging.
Overall, we were really impressed with the Photostick. We tested each of the different Photostick devices available, and each of them gave good results compared to other products available on the market. Each version of the Photostick was extremely easy to use and provided a fast, smooth backup process. It was then easy to sort through the files on the device, as they were sorted and arranged in a visually intuitive manner. The settings were also both easy to navigate and offered useful options regarding choosing different file types for the device to detect, from image to video to sound and more.
The only real drawback of the Photostick that we encountered was the lack of included instructions, but thankfully the device was easy to use, even for our less computer-literate friends and family, so this really doesn’t seem a particular obstacle. Price-wise, the Photostick was around the same price as similar products that we tested. It was much simpler to use than other products, as it did not need the installation of an app – just plug straight into the computer and go!
Obviously, no product is right for everyone, but we can pretty confidently say that the Photostick is a very good product if you are looking to back up your most precious photos in a quick and simple way. The portability is also great, and we would certainly recommend this solution over other solutions such as cloud storage or external hard drives. Ultimately, what is best is different for everyone, and we hope that this review helped you choose the right product for you!
- 1 Our Rating: 4.7/5
- 2 Photostick – What it is?
- 3 Compatibility
- 4 How Does It Work?
- 5 Features
- 6 What Type of Files The Photostick Works With?
- 7 Who is the Photostick For?
- 8 Signs of Hard Drive Failure
- 9 Using the Photostick
- 10 Different Versions
- 11 Should You Buy It?
- 12 Alternatives
- 13 Testimonials
- 14 Where Can You Buy It?
- 15 Final Verdict